Chapter 11 from “Groundswell” (Li & Bernoff, 2011), focuses on two organizations- Unilever and Dell. These companies transformed their traditional marketing and customer service with the help of Groundswell. This transformation is essential and needs a closer communication mode between organizations and customers.
According to the book, when considering this type of transformation, it is important to:
- Take it step-by-step.
- Each step leads naturally to the next step- creating a sequential plan.
- Gain executive support- ways to gain upper management support.
Therefore, it is important to strategize and create a plan for a smooth transformation. Moreover, being patient and generating ideas to gain customers’ attention is vital for a company and needs to be focused on.
In order for your company to be successful:
- Start small- going big is very risky, therefore starting off small, a lot of areas can be covered to reduce risk.
- Educate your executives- Fill them in and use the resources/ technology to aid your company.
- Get the right people to run your strategy- Relationships with customers is essential. Hence, picking the right person who handles this well is ideal.
- Get your agency and technology partners in sync- Communication is key, therefore, the IT department and Marketing department should be on the same page.
- Plan for the next step and for long term- Have a vision and create a sequential plan to reach it.
Companies now use social media rather for promotion rather than TV ads, since it reaches more customers. Therefore, organizations plan accordingly and tend to follow these steps in order to be successful.
A great example that is doing an amazing job on social media is Netflix. With 120,000followers, it understands its social audience and serves their needs. It has accounts with Facebook, Twitter, and other sites to promote new releases, Tv shows etc. There is just about everything for everyone to watch on their site.
Johnson, Z. (2015). Netflix Social Media- 2015. Vimeo. Retrieved from https://vimeo.com/153548374
Li, C., & Bernoff, J. (2011). Groundswell: Winning in a world transformed by social technologies. Boston: Harvard Business Press.